Thursday 19 July 2007

Where to start?

Not sure where to start as it has been days since I could post - I have had blog withdrawal symptoms while I have been away. Monday to Wednesday was a work trip to the tiny little outback "town" of Wiluna. Always interesting and always very good to get home! I think I have taught myself the foundations of crocheting while sitting in my little motel room at night but I need to try it with a smoother fibre - the ball I took with me was way too lumpy for a beginner!

The photo is of a wonderful old car outside of Menzies (taken on the way home yesterday) - every time I drive past this car I think about actually stopping and photographing it but when you are going to be driving for several hours you tend to just keep driving. Yesterday was different for some reason and we took the five minutes to stop and take photos and to stretch cramped legs. Whenever I see an old rusted wreck like this I wish I could know its history and why it ended up where it did! Imagine the rusted fabric I could do on this wreck! (Which reminds me - my latest experiment with copper patina rusting is coming along wonderfully - I'll unwrap it on the weekend but it looks good already!)

(PS For anyone outside of Australia wondering about the background to the photo - yes that is what it looks like around these parts - lots of red dirt and some scrub - beautiful on a clear blue sunny but cold winter's day).

When I got home I found that I had received the first two pieces for my jigsaw swap. This is an exchange where 8 of us each decorate 2 large jigsaw pieces for each other so that we all end up with a complete 16 piece jigsaw puzzle on our chosen theme. The beautiful and very clever pieces that are pictured are by the very talented Annie van Leeuwen who is organising this exchange and whom I hope to meet one day (soon would be good!!). My theme is "Vintage Dressmaking". I just love them and it has reminded me that it would be a good idea to get a move on with my pieces for everybody! I still have a couple of months but I know the time will go and these are a bit fiddly ...relatively speaking...

The last photo is a piece I received back from Somerset Studio today - it was published in the Summer 2007 Gallery issue and has been through the whole quarantine inspection process on coming back into Australia so the box was covered in tape and notices advising that "no items had been removed'! So much for "soaring"!! Anyway I have made a couple of life type decisions today so I thought it was apt to post a photo of this piece which hopefully symbolizes my new intentions.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That certailly could turn out in a lot of rusty fabrics!!!Great picture. I am confused however, on Doreen's blog I saw it was winter, but this looks very hot to me. What is the weather in Australia at the moment?

Natalie B said...

Hi Debbi, great pic of the car!! Isn't Annie's work just fabulous..I havne't done any of my pieces yet either :-)

Julie H said...

Hi Debbi

Welcome back! I have popped into comments to make a secret confession ... I love Wiluna. Despite the poverty and trashiness of parts, there is a spiritual connection I feel to the land and the people. Wiluna is also the place I first got angry about racism. I was 7 years old (in 1978) and I could not understand why I could go into the pub, when I did not even want a drink, and the aboriginal folk had to queue at a small window on the outside of the building.

I am rambling. But each time you post about Wiluna my heart does a little clench, nostalgia and a little longing.

Ok, this is longer than your post! Fantastic picture of the old vehicle!!!thank you for sharing.

Ro Bruhn said...

Fabulous picture of the old truck, there is and old tractor of similar vintage on a farm on the Mornington Peninsula and that makes a great photo opportunity.
I love your piece of art that was in Somerset Studio.
congratulations

Jane P said...

Debbie, I love the photo of the car- I used to live in Kalgoorlie, so I guess you never quite get the pindan dirt out of your veins- The car is such a work of art in itself!!!!