Saturday 8 September 2007

Gothic Arch Challenge - Moon

I joined in the first week of the new Gothic Arch challenge so really really want to try and make one each week so that I can make a book from all the pages and have a complete set. This week, which is the second week for the challenge finishes tonight so I am only just making it before the next challenge is announced! (Serious stuff, I know!)

So this afternoon I have created my arch for the current challenge theme which is "moon". When you are not well things definitely don't go as well either! My first arch was constructed of a transparency I printed and then layered onto silver glimmer paper which had been stamped with a favourite text image and then layered onto black cardstock. I machine stitched around the edges and then, fatal mistake, decided to add some extra bling by gluing some Judikins Silver Roxs to emphasize the stars on the transparency. The resulting blobs looked awful so I thought I would wipe them off before the glue dried and of course that removed significant quantities of the ink as well.

I chucked the whole thing in the bin and started again. This time I made an arch that was based on a beautiful piece of blue mulberry type paper that has little gold and silver flecks all over it. I layered that to cardstock and then decided maybe I could recycle some of the previous effort so I fished the first arch out of the bin. I cut around the little girls and the moon as they hadn't been affected by my earlier efforts and glued that portion to the same part of the new arch after stamping the text image repeatedly in silver ink on the blue background. I once again machine stitched around the edges and this time I limited my bling additions to some star sequins and silver pen dots. I have resisted the urge to do anything else although I really want to add SOMETHING (unspecified/unknown). Maybe it needs a "label" - a word or two - a reference to the moon maybe. Whatever it needs, I am not risking it.

PS I just saw that Linda has started an inchie challenge blog - the first week's theme is "swirl" - so of course I am going to have to join this fun too! If you like working small - have a look and join in!!

10 comments:

Vintage Papers said...

oh Debbi
this is just divine. what a sweet mystical arch you have created! :)
gorgeous work!!!

Linda M said...

It's beautiful. I really like the stitching!

Dymphie said...

Wonderful arch! Love the stitched border.

Night Owl Designs said...

Wow, this is lovely Debbi!

Angelina said...

This is smashing! Beautiful! Love this arch!

Anonymous said...

Debbi This arch is so perfect-beautiful!

Jen Crossley said...

What a gorgeous Arch Debbi love it
Jen

Genevieve said...

Love your arch Debbie. Using the Mulberry paper you could also use this for the Wednesday Stamper challenge this week! Great idea about making your challenge arches into a book, mind if I use this idea as well? And that heavy looking Arch on my blog - very disceptive - it's only normal card stock! lol

Cheers!

Genevieve said...

Oh my! what planet was I on when I left my post....deceptive is the spelling (just don't tell my mum).

Cheers!

emilia in Taiwan said...

beautiful arch! it gives a feel of serene! I love it!

PS the text stamp is really pretty, no wonder it is your favorite! :-)