Saturday 15 December 2007

Fabulous Mail & Grungeboard Too!

Yesterday I received this wonderful fabric postcard from Jhodi Bennett - it is for our "silk" postcard exchange. It is a lovely sensuous and rich postcard - very textural and just gorgeous.

I also received my first order of the new Tim Holtz Grungeboard and had a quick play with it last night before we had a power blackout (which lasted a couple of hours unfortunately). Everything I have read and seen about it is right - it is incredible stuff. I am doing my other square deco page at the moment and incorporating a grungeboard flourish on it so I'll upload that either later today or tomorrow.

We have our work Christmas party tonight. It is Hawaiian themed by the pool to go with the hot summer weather that we have here but of course the temperature has suddenly dropped twenty degrees and it is very grey. I don't think there will be too much Hawaiian happening (jeans and jumpers, more likely!). Champagne will be necessary just for warmth.


This is a card I made quite a while ago - stamped, coloured and then coated in Helmar's Antique Crackle medium. Brown oil paint is rubbed into the cracks to emphasize them. I notice there are lots of people raving about the Tim Holtz Crackle Paints but I am trying to avoid buying them at this stage as I am having trouble getting to my desk - too much stuff in the way! If they are as good as they seem I am bound to end up with some though as I love the crackle look.

Ciao for now...

3 comments:

Jen Crossley said...

Debbi what a great mail day you had.That fabric postcard is so beautiful, Jhodi does amazing work,
I havent tryed the grungeboard yet but cant wait to see what you come up with it will be awesome
Jen
PS hope you didnt wear a grass skirt to your pool party tonight

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

Debbi, I was HOPING to avoid having to write this but I don't think the United States Postal Service is going to work right for me...so here goes.

I mailed your card off last week. I had a stack of 6 or 7 cards and they were all thick enough to require extra postage. I took them to the post office to be weighed and measured. The postal worker picked each one up in turn and declared that they all required .57 cents postage (vs. the .41 cents it normally costs to send a letter). I was laughing and talking with her and didn't think any thing of it and it wasn't until I was sitting on the couch that night that it hit me...I hadn't pointed out to the postal worker that one of those cards was addressed to AUSTRALIA! I'm fairly certain the postage should have cost MORE than .57 cents. Urgghh! So...I've been waiting every day, thinking the post office would probably realize the error and send it back to me for more postage. But thus far, I have yet to receive it. So I'm afraid that one of three things may have happened to it; 1) It's been rejected for insufficient postage and it's just taking them forever and a day to return it to me, or 2) they are forwarding it on to you but with a "postage due" sticker on it, meaning they'll want YOU to pay the extra cost, or 3) the postal worker processed it as having the correct amount of postage and it'll be delivered with no problem. Since it would be totally against my luck for #3 to be the case (lol), I'm fully expecting it to mean either they'll eventually get it back to me so I can add more postage, in which case your card will be extremely late, or worse - you'll receive it with a notice that postage is due. If it's either one of those - I AM SO SORRY! I'm such a goober!! They're normally so good at the post office about actually looking at the addresses that I just took it for granted and didn't point it out to them.

SO....if you receive the card anytime soon, please, please, please let me know if they charged you for additional postage. It's no good sending Christmas cheer if it's going to cost the recipient money! lol And if I receive it back, I'll let you know when I resend it properly. Sheesh. What a long explanation, huh?

Anyway - I hope you have (or had, depending on when you read this) fun at your Christmas party!

Merry Christmas down under!
Kari

Vivian said...

crackle ... interesting, I hadn't thought of using it on fabric ... but, will have to try1