Wednesday 20 August 2008

My August Calendar Girls Fabric Postcard

This month it is my turn to make a Calendar Girls postcard for the rust & paint loving Lynda. The picture below is this month's source of inspiration. I've moved away completely from the colours in the picture but I have used the basic shape of one of the flowers so I think there is enough of a link!

The fabric was first rusted (last summer) and then coloured with Adirondack Color Wash in Denim - a great colour and I think it sets off the rust rather well. I've stamped it using a french text image and black ink and then appliqued a flower I have cut out of fine copper mesh. I heated the mesh over a flame to get the nice colouring. Hard to control as the colour spreads very quickly. I have also sprayed the fabric with a Moon Shadow Mist in gold so there is a lovely glimmer that doesn't show up on the scan. The machine stitching is done with a lovely plastic sort of sparkly metallic thread.

And speaking of plastic - my plastic inchies arrived and they are fantastic. As soon as I have them mounted altogether on some card-stock I will post a picture of them.

8 comments:

Doreen G said...

I love it Debbi.

Anonymous said...

oh deb, this is STUNNING - beautiful work - well done!
hugs x Keron

carolann said...

Wow this is stunning work hun well done xxxx

Val said...

I absolutely love it Deb. - lucky ole Lynda. Val

Micki said...

Beautiful card. Love the techniques you used. Lynda will absolutely love it!

sharon young said...

This is a beautiful PC, Debbi, and so perfect for Lynda, I love the treatment of the copper mesh, something I must try as Carol M was kind enough to send me a sheet. I'm just a bit afraid to put it to under my sewing machine.
Many thanks for your comment on my award post, Joanna is amazingly quick off the mark for September.

Gaby Bee said...

Wow, this card is simply stunning!
Love the techniques you used. Really fabulous art work!

Bethel of Bethania said...

Debbi I know i'm a bit behind the ace ball here but have been having a little look at you & your friends at Calendar Girls ... this is just awesome ... love it love it - must have a go at the adirondack washes for dying material ... ohhh so many things to try. Debbi do you use a special needle to sew the copper mesh? Thanks for sharing ... luv ... Bethel