Saturday 11 October 2008

Mixed Media Monday - Opposites

This is my piece for the current "Opposites" theme over at Mixed Media Monday. It is another piece that was published in Somerset Studio some time back. It is a large piece by my usual standards and is based on a canvas board and uses paint, paper, stamps, ink, lace, fabric and clock numbers. In case you are interested to get the silhouette I photocopied a very old magazine picture of a woman in lingerie and after cutting it out, turned it over so I would have the blank side. Simple hey!

I am using it for this theme as it uses black and white primarily and for me (and lots of others) those colours spring to mind as soon as I think about opposites! But the piece was also meant to represent all the body image issues women face and the urge/pressure to be beautiful and to conform to the characteristics of beauty that are valued in their own society. There are some opposing values in all of this especially when we want to have strong self-esteem and self-acceptance!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stunning piece, Debbi! Diane

Femmy said...

GREAT!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Its beautiful

RedLan said...

Wow perfect stats! you art is so beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I am glad she is not real, I would have to hate her for being perfect... Love your card and your comments are so very true...janet

Jen Crossley said...

Just beautiful Debbi
Jen

carolann said...

fantastic hun xxxxx