Sunday 18 January 2009

Fibre Technique ATCs

One of the Yahoo Groups that I belong to is called Surface Design. It is a great fibre surface design art group and they always have something on the go! I joined their January Technique ATC exchange and these are the ATCs I finished yesterday.

The "technique" I have used is to adhere a strong printed tissue paper (the gift-wrap sort that is not really transparent) to commercial felt using vlieosofix. I crumple and then flatten out the tissue first but ironing it on to the felt results in some nice creases. When I started this particular piece I was intending to highlight the background print which was quite strongly coloured and so I stamped on it and added some glitz spritz. BUT it looked uninspiring so I set it aside (in the "4later" pile) and it was joining this exchange that made me pull it out again. Here it is in its initial state.

So I painted it with some lovely Lumiere Paints - such gorgeous metallic colours! Next I sprayed it with some black and then white webbing (another love) and then I stamped a text stamp repeatedly over the surface using Black permanent ink.

While it was still a whole piece of cloth I added a little machine stitching - one decorative stitch in lines and then some random meandering, all in a lovely coppery metallic thread. Then I cut it into ATC sized pieces, added iron-on Pelmet Vilene as a backing and stitched around the edges using black thread. Although it was a technique exchange and it was not critical to have a focal image I thought a little coppery embellishment was called for, hence the small metal shapes that I have stitched on.

4 comments:

Jo Wholohan said...

lovely deb, the texture is just yummy :))

xx

Jen xo said...

mmm, lovely texture Deb, lucky recipients...jenxo

Genie said...

great textures

Purple Missus said...

Wonderful post. Fabulous textures and some great ideas too. :)
Especially like the last photo.