Sunday 23 August 2009

Fabric Collages - Vintage Style

For September a small group of us are trading four inch square fabric collages with a vintage theme. The theme was set by Ann over in the Netherlands and you can see the collages she has made (well in advance!) here and here and here and here! I have a pretty busy month coming up with work trips and with the red fabric inchie swap, so I decided to do mine this week while I was in the mood. I've re-sized and printed the vintage postcard image on those wonderful ready to print fabric sheets and added a touch of text stamping (got to be true to my rubber stamping roots).

The calico base fabric is tea dyed and the very old lace on the left (recycled from the early 70s) has been coffee dyed. All the other laces and fabrics are new - I wanted to include a bit of green and pink to make the collages on the "pretty" side of vintage. The little squares are backed with a cotton batting and a sheet of cardstock for stability. My art friend Coralie sent me the hand woven twine - it was perfect for the hangers. I added some silk ribbon I had dyed previously. Must nearly be time for another day of painting lace and ribbon. Sometimes playing with fabric just feels right...

This week I received these two gorgeous fused plastic ATCs from my trade with Jen (apologies for my crooked scan) and she included some yummy bits of interesting fabrics that will definitely be fun to use! Thanks Jen.
PS My love affair with the Cuttlebug continues - I bought the new "ironwork" borders embossing folder this weekend and I just know those borders are going to feature a lot in my stuff from now on!

6 comments:

Nia Tilley said...

I love your fabric collages Debbi. Your blog continues to inspire. Beautiful!

Anneke said...

what a lovely art pieces you have made debbi.
they have a great vintage look

Gaby Bee said...

Your fabric collages are fabulous, Debbi! Love the vintage look.
Gaby xo

Samantha Marshall said...

Your fabric collages are beautiful. I love the fused plastic ATCs.

Night Owl Designs said...

I love your collages Debbi, the mix of fabrix, ribbon and buttons is so sweet.

Judys Lace Creations said...

What a sweet idea to trade 4' vintage ATC's. I'm having a Giveaway if you're interested.
I'm in Adelaide if you ever want to trade something!